Avoiding Scams and Fraud
Avoiding Scams & Fraud
You can avoid the majority of scams and fraud by simply using common sense. Following are a few tips. For specific scams reported to ClassifiedsGiant.com, see below.
• Deal LOCALLY with people you can MEET IN PERSON and you'll avoid nearly 99% of the scam attempts.
• NEVER WIRE FUNDS via Western Union, Moneygram or any other wire service. Anyone who asks you to do so is a scammer.
• FAKE Cashier Checks and Money Orders are common in scams. Banks WILL cash them, but hold YOU responsible when the fake is discovered weeks later.
• ClassifiedsGiant.com does not get involved in any transactions. We do NOT handle payments, guarantee transactions, provide escrow services, or offer any type of "buyer protection" or "seller certification."
• NEVER GIVE OUT FINANCIAL INFORMATION (bank account number, social security number, eBay/PayPal info, etc.).
• Avoid deals involving SHIPPING OR ESCROW SERVICES. Be aware that only a scammer will "guarantee" your transaction.
Who to Notify about Fraud or Scam Attempts
If you suspect that an item posted for sale in the ClassifiedsGiant.com Free Classifieds may be part of a scam, please REPORT THE ABUSE by clicking the "Report Offensive Ad " link near the top right-hand corner of the listing description page. You may also email details to email@example.com. Be sure to include the page URL or the six-digit Posting ID number in your message.
In addition, you may report abuse to the following organizations:
• FTC toll free hotline: 877-FTC-HELP (877-382-4357)
• FTC online complaint form (http://www.ftc.gov)
• Canadian PhoneBusters hotline: 888-495-8501
• Internet Fraud Complaint Center (http://www.ic3.gov)
• Non-emergency number for your local police department
Personal Safety Tips
The majority of users on ClassifiedsGiant.com are trustworthy and well-intentioned. Nevertheless, it's very important to take the same common-sense precautions when meeting someone for the first time in person as it is when interacting with them online. Remember to:
• Insist on a public meeting place like a cafe
• Tell a friend or family member where you're going
• Take your cell phone along if you have one
• Consider having a friend accompany you
• Trust your instincts